Barão de São João is a hippie market-based in the Algarve of Portugal and runs every last Sunday of every month. It is one of the most energetic, colourful, vibrant and loving markets I have ever been too and the memories of this place will stay with me forever.
The market is situated in the small village and unites groups of mainly vandwellers who escaped 'normal' society. They collectively meet here to share their handcrafted goods amongst the laughs, smiles and love. The market is international and we met people from all different walks of life from Israel, France, Germany, UK and Portugal to name a few. We even bumped into a lot of other vandwellers we met along our journey and it was as though the community had gathered here altogether, to enjoy this incredible event.
The market is run by vandwellers who can pitch and sell their items for free and is open to anyone who wants to have a go at selling their pieces or share their unique talent. Some people do this for a living either full time or part time, to provide an income whilst travelling on the road. One lady was selling her services as a hairdresser and she had a long queue outside her van which was lovely too see. Another gentlemen were selling on the spot poetry from his typewriter and would share individual poems to the receiver and read the heartwarming poems aloud in front of the crowds.
What can you find at the market?
- An array of Plant-based, vegetarian & Vegan Dishes
- Hand Crafted Jewellery made from Silver, Gold Oak and Wood Cork to name a few
- Artists providing heartwarming performances and unique entertainment
- Organic Fruit & Vegetables
- Lots of love and heart hugs from everyone 😀
- People playing instruments from the foot of their vans
- Unique and creative vans and vandwellers
- Areas for children to get creative and bond
- Paintings & Personalised handcrafts
- Services such as haircuts & Tattoos Poetry
- Alternative medicines such as Herbs & CBD oil
- Dancing around the Campfires and good singalong.
Location of the Market
Date: Every 4th Sunday of every month.
Address: Sports area, Recinto do Polidesportivo, Barão de São João